Thursday, December 13, 2007

Al Sharpton's Investigation - What I think about it


I could not help but notice that Rev. Al Sharpton is under investigation by the Justice Department. I’ve interacted with Al on more than one occasion (He is the voice in the background during my last appearance on The Wendy Williams Experience in NY - when I proposed to my fiancé. We were also on Rev. Jesse Jackson’s show together during the Don Imus situation and a few months earlier on The Big Idea with Donny Deutsch).

I am not sure what to think about the investigation. But there are some things I know for sure. First, I know that I do not always agree with Rev. Sharpton: He can, at times, possess viewpoints with which I am not 100% connected. Secondly, there is no other black leader in America who can mobilize people the way Sharpton can. I have always been impressed with his ability to create action where there was none before. For that, he should be commended. Finally, I know that he is likely to be the target of Federal Authorities, particularly since 2008 is an election year, he has marched on the Justice Department, fought the city of Chicago on police brutality and done a lot of other things that are likely to lead to a backlash.
Remember in 2001, when it just “happened” that the media was leaked the story about Jesse Jackson’s affair right during the protest of President Bush’s election? That kind of thing is not a coincidence. My personal opinion? Someone is out to get Al, and their goal is to kill any credibility he might have in the public eye. I also feel that there is a connection to the Obama/Oprah campaign, as Sharpton and Obama have worked together on some initiatives.

Ironically, right as I was thinking about this situation with Rev. Sharpton and reminiscing on what happened to Rev. Jackson in 2001, I got a call from the producer of the Santita Jackson Show in Chicago. Santita is Rev. Jackson's daughter and a great person. Her producer, Stacey is one of my favorite people on earth as well. We talked about what was happening with Rev. Jackson and Rev. Sharpton. All I can say is that I am glad I don't have to do what they do. I have enough problems of my own.

Don’t believe everything you read. Sharpton and Obama are probably no cleaner or dirtier than anyone else in the dirty game of politics. The thing is that when you get enough enemies, they can make your dirt look grimier than the next person’s.
There is more news on Rev. Sharpton below. Enjoy!

No comments: