Thursday, March 3, 2011

Black Hollywood Needs to Let Go of the Academy Awards

Halle Berry

by Dr. Boyce Watkins, Syracuse UniversityScholarship in Action 

I don't watch the Oscars, the Academy Awards, or whatever you like to call it. But then again, I never have. While I spent years thinking that perhaps I was the only person not sophisticated enough to appreciate what I deemed to be the most boring night of the year, I then saw data showing that viewership fell again this year, implying that perhaps I am not alone in my disdain. While there are some who watch the show religiously, the truth is that many Americans (especially black folks), would rather watch old MC Hammer videos at the dentist's office than endure the psychological tragedy of being both insulted and bored senseless, all at the same time.

Click to read.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

DrWatkins you may not watch the oscars but you are very opinionated when it comes to Beyonce who is overrated.
There is no doubt about it that Jennifer Hudson has become a super star in her own right threw hard work
over the years.Jennifer does not have to be judged by the color of her skin being dark complexed but by talent.Beyonce on the other hand is given a pass because of being creole and having European features.Now we have to listen to her association with Gaddafi;what a mess.
Please be fair if anything.I reside in California.Alicia Keys is biracial but not arrogrant and has those virtures that stand out that make her not only a jewel but very talented.