Sunday, February 27, 2011

Idris Elba Says “Oscars are not designed for us”

by Dr. Boyce Watkins, Syracuse UniversityScholarship in Action 

I saw an interesting article recently in which Idris Elba, one of my favorite actors, went out of his way to give his true feelings about the Oscars.  You know the Oscars, those awards that black people never get unless they yank out a breast or act like they want to kill other black people. 

In an appearance at a university, Elba made this statement: “Halle Berry and I were the only two black actors nominated for this year’s Golden Globes (Idris for Lutherand Halle for Frankie & Alice). The Oscars aren’t designed for us…let’s focus on making more films.”

Click to read.

1 comment:

Terri said...

I am in total agreement with my fellow actor. I have recently entered the business and to date have participated in three movies. I was very fortunate to have two principal roles out of the three which qualified me to become a SAG member.

At first I was ecstatic at the thought of being among such an elite group of actors. However, upon closer inspection (while contemplating paying the initial dues) I see the entire industry in a different light. We are grossly underrepresented, passed over for seemly weaker performances and to add insult to injury we have to be subjected to audiences who are pre programed to only appreciate us in a role which satisfies their sub conscientious idea of who they really think we are. Also, after just viewing the OSCAR'S last night I only saw 7 noteworthy Black actors in the entire audience. Clearly, we are not appreciated for our talents and are shamefully under represented at these gatherings. Additionally, I saw the SAG awards as well and the audience appeared the same. Sadly, industry is lacking the recognition of the outstanding work done by African Americans UNLESS, it fits a stereotype. I would say when are things going to change but they have. We aren't portraying maids, butlers, shoeshine boys, nannie's, and the like but must resort to demeaning characters before we can be rewarded for our talents. I may be way out here but just like the Miss Black America pageants we need to acknowledge our own with some form of achievement ceremony for actors.