Friday, December 3, 2010

Story of the Black Athlete: Evander Holyfield Fighting at the age of 48

by Dr. Boyce Watkins, Syracuse UniversityScholarship in Action 

Just when you thought the Evander Holyfield era was over, you find that there's yet another stage to this endless saga. Holyfield, at the age of 48, has stated that he plans to keep on fighting until he becomes heavyweight champion of the world again. The fighter is set to take on Denmark's Brian Nielson in Copenhagen on March 5.
"My goal is to be the undisputed world champion one more time before I let it go. Once I do that, I sit down," said Holyfied. "And until I do that, I continue to fight."
Holyfield currently has a record of 43-10-2. This would be a nice career for most fighters, but unfortunately, it appears that Holyfield isn't ready to put away the gloves. One great concern are the long-term health issues that can come from being nearly 50 years old and getting pounded in the head for a living. I personally don't want to watch Holyfield decline in the same way as Muhammad Ali and Larry Holmes.

 

Click to read.

No comments: