Sunday, August 22, 2010

Spelman College Ranked #1 HBCU in US News

Short note from Dr. Boyce Watkins

Spelman College was chosen as the #1 HBCU in the country in a recent ranking by U.S. News and World Report. The title is well-deserved, since I don’t know of a single Spelman grad who isn’t doing quite well. But some complain that the self-confidence of Spelman grads can sometimes breed arrogance - you know, the woman who wants to be CEO of the company on the first day. In fact, I know employers who refuse to hire Spelman grads at all.

I also hate that the university doesn’t give many scholarships - the school's incredibly expensive ($33,000 per year). Anyone who has read my book, “Everything You Ever Wanted to Know about College” knows that I don’t believe it makes sense to go $100,000 in debt just to get a college degree.

But call me a walking contradiction, because I tried to convince all of my daughters to go to Spelman – The school is simply amazing and produces some of the most empowered black women in America. My youngest daughter is going to college next year, and I am still working to convince her to put Spelman on her wish list. Not only is Spelman the best HBCU in America, it is also the best school in the country for black women – period.

No comments: