Monday, April 20, 2009

Russell Simmons Responds to Dr. Boyce’s Critique on the Rushcard

 

To the YourBlackWorld family:  Some of you saw my recent critique of the RushCard, the new prepaid debit card issued by Russell Simmons.  Some took my article about the RushCard and interview about the Rushcard on BBC World news and The New York Times to imply that I have serious problems with the way Russell Simmons does business.  While I do not feel that Russell, nor anyone else, is above being critiqued by the Black community, it should be made clear that I respect much of Simmons’ work, especially what he has done to reduce the severity of the drug laws that incarcerate so many Black men across America. 

I must admit that I’ve been disturbed by the recent trend of African American urban role models lending themselves out to companies such as Rent-a-Center to encourage people of color to participate in arguably one-sided financial transactions.  But I must be clear when I say that the RushCard is not necessarily a bad deal for those who need it.  My greatest challenge to President Obama is to find ways to ensure that all Americans have access to basic services, such as bank accounts, so they are not forced to pay high fees in order to access their own money.  I cannot endorse an argument which states that Russell is necessarily a philanthropist (as his ads claim) because his company provides an option that improves upon the horrific options already in place.  So, while I agree 100% that the RushCard is better than check cashing venues in the Black community, my greatest concern is that many members of the urban poor are still paying the high cost of poverty in America.  It is my hope that Russell sincerely fulfills his role as philanthropist, leader and financial enabler by genuinely working to solve critical liquidity and financial literacy problems in urban America.  I have complete faith that he can accomplish whatever he puts his mind to.

So, out of fairness to Russell, I want all of you to see his response to the New York Times piece, which is written below.  My goal is not to think for you, it’s to encourage you to think for yourself.

 

From Russell Simmons, CEO- Rush Communications:

Since April is financial literacy month I feel this is a perfect time to set the record straight concerning comments I have been reading online about the RushCard.

Although a recent NY Times article was not judgemental about the RushCard, I'm disappointed that they did not do any research when quoting critics who say the RushCard pushes people into debt.  The RushCard is a prepaid card, NOT a credit card.  It gives people the convenience of a credit card without the debt.  Financial literacy month is when people should know the truth about options to manage their money, not when misinformation should be spread to keep the underserved communities suppressed.

I have watched with pride the way it has changed the lives of hundreds of thousands of people giving them respect and dignity.  It gives underserved communities the tools to get their money right.

The RushCard helps struggling Americans who find themselves without access to bank accounts or credit.  They have to tackle difficult and expensive obstacles every day when they need to pay their bills. When they go to a check cashing place they are forced to pay a huge fee just to get their money.  10% of their paycheck goes to these fees and they spend 8 to 10 hours a week to go pay bills in person. They cannot pay bills without standing in line, rent a car or shop online.  This separates them from part of the American Dream that other Americans are free to enjoy.

Some people pay a lot to have a bank account.  The average US household pays over $340 a year in bank insufficient fund fees.  In fact, most of these are paid by members of underserved communities totaling over $1,300 per year per household.  I have read that we are somehow trying to take advantage of people by charging high fees.  It's a very competitive space and even Walmart, the largest retailer in the world, has followed us with their own prepaid card.

We've built many innovative tools to help people save money.  Over half of the RushCard members who use these tools say they save more than $300 a year. 30% say they're saving $600/year.  And we're constantly adding new features to help people.

I needed to do something to help the underserved.  It had to be an entrepreneurial venture to make it grow fast enough.  In five years we have over 1.5 million members and the biggest source of new members is from current members talking about the card.  The people who need the card and use it really understand its value.  Our biggest advertiser are the users themselves, spreading its value by word of mouth to their friends and family members.

In short, I have no interest in building companies that don't have empowerment components for communities in need.  The focus of all my businesses will always be to serve.  Scripture says, "do not forget the poor" so I will always make it my job to help relieve the suffering of others whenever possible.  I am thrilled to see the RushCard is doing just that.

I invite critics to come and compete with RushCard and Walmart in this space. This will help us all find better solutions for the underserved communities.

-Russell Simmons

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is classic Dr. B!

As I predicted, it is opportunism at its finest! Anybody here remember when the same technique was used to attacks PBS' Tavis Smiley last year?!

Go ahead, Watkins: Keep using other Black people, whether fairly or unfairly, to hype up your celebrity status!!!

Anonymous said...

This is a good point. I think it's great that you and Russell are respecting one another on this. You guys should work together and not be enemies.

Anonymous said...

Don't you get it, you fool(s)! This is nothing but a traffic stream for YourBlackWorld.com. It is a technique used to generate buzz for the good doctor's upcoming projects. He did the same last year, with Tavis Smiley.

Dr. B is a pro at making readers think he holds no ill-feeling toward a fellow Black male supporters, but still using that character as a springboard to higher grounds. His mastery of this skill is spell-binding!

Anonymous said...

I work on the web myself and I can say that I agree that Dr. Boyce and/or his team are absolutely amazing at the way they use the web to get their message out. I don't see this as a bad thing, since everyone is trying to do it, but few people can figure out how. Black people should learn more about technology and learn to use the web so we don't spend all our time trying to get some white network to let us on the air. So I say good for Dr. Boyce. I am learning from you as I speak.

Anonymous said...

To the first and third poster; yes this is a classic example of Dr. B doing what Dr. B do best. Nothing more needs to be said.

Anonymous said...

Yes, this is what he does best: speaks truth to power. Keep it going Dr. B, we need you.

Anonymous said...

"Speaks truth to power."

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH! Thanks for that! That made for a great rolling-on-the-floor-rib-cracking-laugh-out-loud session.

What "power," and what "truth"?!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Stand up to him Dr. Boyce please!

monique said...

Do you know dr. boyce that when you call rush card all you get are indians and filipinos??? Talk about american dream russell. how about hiring your people as customer service reps?? how bout that. someone needs to expose that part as well

Anonymous said...

Whats wrong with Indians and Filipinos? I assume that you would be okay with white people just hiring white people huh?