Friday, April 10, 2009

Finally: Roland Martin Gets His Own CNN Gig

by Dr. Boyce Watkins

www.BoyceWatkins.com

People have asked me what I think about Roland Martin getting his new gig on CNN.  I can only say that IT’S ABOUT TIME!  I’ve been waiting and hoping that CNN would choose a Black personality to brand that matches all the other personalities they’ve chosen to back financially.  Their original choice of DL Hughley as the first African American personality to grace their airwaves was incredibly disrespectful, as he turned the historic election of President Obama into a modern day minstrel show.

When I first met Roland, he rubbed me the wrong way, in large part because I secretly wondered if he would ever stop talking to me (I tend to go to a quiet space when making media appearances, to help me focus on seeking truth in my commentary).  But I eventually learned that Roland is a righteous Black man who believes in what he is saying, and like my other homeboy Marc Lamont Hill, Roland has made tremendous sacrifices in order to get to where he is today (you have no idea how much sacrifice is made behind the scenes).  I’ve appeared on shows with Roland and I find him to be the most intriguing media personality to hit the national airwaves in quite a while. Roland sent me supportive text messages during my feud with Bill O’Reilly and he has always shown me love when I’ve stopped through WVON, his home radio station.

I respect Roland Martin and I am damn glad to see him finally get his shot.  It is my greatest hope that this temporary filler will turn into a show of his own.  He is a helluva lot better than Glenn Beck!

1 comment:

DetroitTown said...

Just what is the point of this little get together on CNN with Paula Zahn? These people are complaining because Oprah won't invite some semi-illiterate rappers on her show? This is what CNN and Zahn think is important to the black community? Shows what they really think of black people, IMHO.

It is her show; she worked hard to get where she is and is now being criticized because who won't have on her show thugs showing their underwear and behinds?

Instead of glorifying this type of garbage why not ask why many of the black kids comining out of high school today STILL CANNOT SPEAK STANDARD ENGLISH? Why math scores among black kids are still low? Why unemployment rates are higher in the black community? Why some black fathers are not taking care of their children? Why blacks are still killing other blacks? Not taking care of THEIR neighborhoods? Etc.

I don't give a rats' a** about rappers not appearing on Oprah. Instead of getting worked up over this nonsense try getting worked up over the fact that republicans in Congress and in general are working with the news media in their attempts to discredit and undermine President Obama. Get worked up over the fact that a few well-known BLACK commentators, pundits, journalist and personalities are fighting over each other to get the chance to go on Fox News, CNN and MSNBC to assist in the undermining of the President. Get worked up over that fact that BLACK commentators, pundits, journalist and personalities who have the means and media access are silent in face of the attacks against the President.

This is what you should get worked up over.