Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Life and Times of the Administrative Negro


by Dr. Boyce Watkins


http://www.boycewatkins.net/




In case you wonder where I’ve been, I’ve been buried under a rock. I am not a political person, for I think that being tied to political machines can cause one to lose their sense of purpose in the world. Your choices become disconnected from your soul and more directly connected to the incentives of the institution around you. You find yourself doing all the wrong things for what you think are the right reasons, and then you realize that both your means and your ends are equally counter-productive.


I was not even very social or political as a child. I’ve never had a long list of meaningless friends, for that makes for a meaningless life. Rather, I was the child who sat in the corner just watching all the other kids interact. I watched the consequences of their choices, the limitations of their friendships and all the lessons in life we learn from the short-comings of our social environments. So, although I never wanted to get involved in politics (especially the petty politics of academia), I’ve always had the ability to understand it.


But I’ve been thinking about politics a lot lately, as I prepare my case for tenure here at Syracuse University. In spite of dedicating my life to my work (you’d be amazed at how bland my social life is), the battle is uphill because, quite frankly, Black professors don’t usually get tenure in predominantly White Business Schools. Even getting respect from Jesse Jackson, Cornel West and others means nothing to those who don’t even know who Cornel West actually is (and probably don’t care). But this process has taught me a lot about my campus, who does what, and who the “power brokers” are in higher level administration. Honestly, I never paid attention to these things, because I find that petty politics and meaningless measures of departmental esteem can slowly murder the academic’s ability to engage in purposeful intellectual leadership. I spend my time seeking truth, not trying to align myself with the most advantageous lie.


In my exploration, I was led to reflect on the life of what I call “The Administrative Negro”. Through my research in academic journals, I read about how many Black faculty like myself confront a consistent and predictable pattern of marginalization by their campuses: they are sent to “academic ghettos”, like African American Studies (a field I happen to respect very much - but this should not be our only academic option). They are also not invited to be a part of the true decision-making infrastructure of the campus. One of my mentors, the great Doris Wilkinson, a Sociology Professor who was invited to teach at Harvard during the summer, was also marginalized in the same way. Cornel West was marginalized at Harvard and told that his efforts to connect with his community were virtually worthless. A friend of mine who was close to Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. described Dr. King’s marginalization and abandonment (by both whites and blacks) toward the end of his life. Dr. Ron Walters, one of my mentors at The University of Maryland, describes this as a “black tax” that many African American scholars pay at predominantly White Universities. Another respected colleague, Christopher Metzler at Georgetown, refers to it as “academic imperialism”, as Black scholars are told that the things that are most important to them are really not that important at all. All of this put things into perspective and helped me realize that I was in good company.


The granted role of The Administrative Negro (whether or not they choose to accept it), is to become a catalyst and legitimizing force in the “Out-of-Line Black Faculty” punishment process. The Administrative Negro can be used as a weapon for those seeking ways to undermine Black faculty who challenge institutionalized racism. After all, if a Black person attacks another Black person, then it CAN’T POSSIBLY be racist.


What is forgotten in this overseer-like transaction is that when The Administrative Negro is pressured into marginalizing someone that he/she might otherwise have little problem with, this individual is engaging in actions that don’t reflect the preferences that lie in his heart. This is sad, problematic and an artifact of slavery. Even Barack Obama is affected by this phenomenon, as he has been forced to denounce individuals he has loved for the past 30 years. In effect, the Jeremiah Wright-Barack Obama scenario is played out on campuses across America: someone that you might normally be friends with becomes your enemy because the powers that be have defined the other individual as dangerous and uncooperative. The campus works through the overseer to achieve its goals by saying “We’ll take care of you if you help us deal with him.” Even the writing of this article would likely lead to further marginalization from those who are simply made uncomfortable by free expression by people of color. Freedom of speech doesn’t really apply to Black scholars who are saying the wrong things.


I work about 15 hours a day, so I don’t take much time for “hanging out”. But I made an exception and went to a reception the other day to meet some of my colleagues. I wanted some of my associates to be able to separate the person from the persona. I wanted them to realize that I am a good human being and I care about doing what’s right for other people. I don’t hate the Black Administrators here at Syracuse, and I actually feel sorry for some of them. I feel that, deep in their hearts, they understand why I do what I do, and many of us end up trapped by our own ambition: we have a lion inside that wants to roar, but we are in a world where we are told to whimper. The conversation behind closed doors usually sounds like this: “You’re right about the racism, but they will fire you for bringing it up. You have to play the game!”

At the reception, one Black administrator asked me about a panel on which I was going to appear. She said “Now Boyce, please make sure that everyone else has a chance to talk!” I turned my head sideways, confused, because I didn’t recall the woman ever seeing me perform on a panel before. I asked her, “Have you ever seen me on a panel in the past?” The woman replied “No.” I then politely informed her that, contrary to what she might have heard through the rumor mills (I guess people talk about the guy who led to police having to scour the building in response to his death threats), I am typically the least talkative person on panels. I explained to the woman that when I arrive to speak, the attention is already thrust upon me. I don’t show disrespect to the esteem of the audience by hogging up the spotlight. Also, if you save your words on a panel, it maximizes the impact of what you have to say. I told the woman that “I talk far less than most people do. But the difference is that when it’s time to say something, I am not afraid to say what needs to be said.”


I wasn’t angry at this person, but again, I felt bad for her. Apparently, some administrator had told her things about me that were likely based on some rumor or media impression. Like pawns in a chess match, we’d been played against one another in a way that never would have occurred had she not been black. A potentially productive association between two African American colleagues had been turned into a divide-and-conquer by those who appoint the Administrative Overseers. It makes me sad, because if my campus had actually taken the time to get to know me, we could have had a very productive partnership. In spite of my “blackity-black – angry black man” reputation, the truth is that I grew up around more white people than Black and I am just as comfortable around either group. I am, however, uncomfortable living a lie, which leads me to be honest about institutionalized racial inequality. The problem is that most of us are too institutionalized to notice it, care about it or feel empowered to confront it.


Part of the job description of The Administrative Negro is that they should be afraid to be seen eating lunch with people like me. They are also instructed by their controllers and even each other to be afraid to take a stand on any issue that adversely affects African Americans (especially the poor – you should have seen the reaction I received when I suggested bringing in a Finance Speaker to talk about the real and disturbing Financial Incentives of the Prison Industrial Complex). They are afraid to work together to confront racial exclusion, such as the statistical and undeniable reality that many academic departments have gone over 100 years without granting tenure to a single person of color. They all experience and empirically document racism in the classroom, but are intimidated into not talking about it. We quietly accept it when our non-black colleagues send us away with our tails between our legs, telling us that our work in the Black community does not make us worthy of a position at their institution. We then sit at faculty meetings the following spring, as someone explains that there are no employees of color because Black people are simply unqualified. We thus become walking anecdotes for the research papers that cite how Black faculty marginalization occurs on predominantly white campuses, and why most Black students never have a Black professor unless they take a course in African American studies. So, rather than seizing the opportunity to make the world a better place, we create the same world over and over again. Dr. King’s dream will never be realized if we continue to remain asleep.


I never became a Black public scholar without knowing the consequences. Call me a cynic, but I’ve known to not expect people to be brave in a world where freedom isn’t free. I’ve never expected people to be loyal or to do the right thing. I’ve never expected academia to reward me for this kind of work and I’ve never expected to be anyone’s chairman, dean or provost. I’ve always known that the predominantly white media slaughters Black men like me, and that this kind of work might cost me my career or quite possibly even my life. I let go of my addictions to money and institutional status that keep many of us perpetually enslaved. I let go of the need to win any popularity contests.



As a result of these tradeoffs, I found myself very comfortable making the sacrifices that other people are afraid to make. Being an expert in Finance and risk-taking, I can say that I am no more courageous than anyone else. Sometimes, it’s not as much about being courageous as it is about putting yourself in a position where it is easy to take the risk you want to take. I also found that marginalization, while being a lost opportunity for my campus, was actually quite liberating. The marginalized faculty member is not worried about losing political points, and doesn’t care a whole lot about what other people think. So, in some ways, I was done a favor when I was rejected from the mainstream of academia, because I could then spend my life seeking truth. The greatest compliment I’ve ever received came from the daughter of the Great Syracuse alum Jim Brown, who said, “You are what my father would call a ‘free black man’”.

That was one of the greatest days of my life.

11 comments:

fennell7 said...

So sad but true when you stand for truth you pretty much walk alone.I understand the feeling very well.I myself and family are pretty much isolated,I have to speak the truth and a lot of times your own people stand back because I am considered a trouble maker,Sometimes it seems so much easier to just go along with status quo,but in my soul I have to be straight up and truthful when I voice by feelings about our situation in America and the World. Isis

SoulOnIce said...

This post is right on time, my brotha. It's exactly what I needed to see, at this very moment. At times, it's easy to feel so isolated; an endangered species, almost, when it comes to sticking up for what you truly believe, as opposed to simply thinking it, yet internalizing it, for whatever reasons. Sure, there are some "costs to be paid" if you want to be truly free, but at the core of it, there's no greater feeling in the world.

Elrancho78 said...

Another great post Dr Boyce. Reading your words is so empowering because like you, I have never been able to 'play the game' when I know the game to be unfair and fundamentally wrong. But it's only by standing for what we know to be right will the world ever change for the better. Sadly, the 'establishment' is contented with things as they are and will never move foward without being forced. Continue to speak the truth - it makes you stand out as such a rare phenomenon.

(And I'm sure you meant to say 'I am, however, uncomfortable living a lie')

Anonymous said...

NO DOUBT!! YOU WILL STAND AND GET VICTORY,CAUSE THE WORLD IS WATCHING!! NO JAANGLE!!

Anonymous said...

Quit crying Boyce. Have you ever thought that maybe you are not good enough for tenor? I've checked your CV out; its very weak. With all do respect I think that you are just a "token negro" hire who now realizes it and is trying to connect back to the community since the white folks want nothing to do with you.

Anonymous said...

To the person who said "quit crying". I am not sure if Dr. Boyce should take advice from someone with grammar as terible as yours. First, the word is "tenure", not "tenor". Second, it's "With all due respect", not "With all do respect". You obviously did not go to college, so I don't think your advice really matters all that much.

Anonymous said...

I say f*** Syracuse and any other racist institution. We need to run our own schools. Holler at Howard, or maybe even try to start a full MBA program at Morehouse. In the words of the great El-Hajj Malik El-Shabazz, "Only a fool would let his enemies educate his children." Anyone that keeps you from telling the truth or being socially, economically, politically, or intellectually free is your enemy. If we focused our best and brightest on building our own institutions, we wouldn't have to spread ourselves thin and waste energy on integrating with people that don't want to integrate.

Until white folks mature and deal with their white supremacist behavior, we need to leave them alone. Otherwise we'll always be setting ourselves up for disappointment.

Anonymous said...

You get a solid from me for that comment Tre! Why is Boyce bi*&hing about whitey when Malcom warned us years ago about those grafted snakes?

Elrancho78 said...

I also agree with you Tre. There have been way too many disappointments already. You do need to either run your own schools or at least have more control over what is taught in schools. The same goes for the media because America is continuingly being fed lies and propaganda by the right-wing news outlets. Until this changes I'm doubtful that white 'middle' America will ever mature as they are the ones who 'believe' Fox News and therefore most in need of education and enlightenment. But remember, not everyone is your enemy and I think some are genuinely able to face up to the truth. I can only hope that if Obama is elected it will enable the country to mature a little further. I know it's only 'hope'...

LGM#3 said...

My views of you have definitely changed in light of this post, Dr. Watkins. I'm still suspicious of a lot of what you say, for you seem to be too one sided in your analysis of the rift between whites and blacks in our society.

What I want is for my black friends who have been the object of scorn, racism, etc., to never be used or abused, that is, I will never stand for some media pundit, whether white or black, making a career off of the sufferings of my friends. You seemed suspciously like someone who was doing this, but, of course, I could be and hope that I was wrong. The light will indeed shine on darkness, regardless of skin color.

Lawrence M.

P.S. I studied with Kwasi Wiredu of USF, probably the world's premier African philosopher alive today, so my connection with "Black" American runs quite deep, indeed.

Anonymous said...

Dr. Boyce: the conditions that you describe in Administravie Negro exist unfortunately throughout the professions and in corporate america. We are not there in substantial numbers to change the dynamics. Politics--office, academic, corporate--determine who moves up to the corner office, gains tenure, etc. We cannot survive by ignoring politics. And, if we are going to participate in the game, we need to become acquainted with the players and the lay of the land, if only to learn where the pitfalls are.