Friday, May 23, 2008

Barack Obama’s Trip to Kentucky: The Ultimate Plantation



by Dr. Boyce Watkins
www.BoyceWatkins.com

In the writing of my book, “What if George Bush Were a Black Man?”, I spent a great deal of time talking about my experience growing up in Kentucky. Kentucky is nothing like the unfair stereotypes presented by Hollywood: images of hillbillies in straw hats, running moonshine on horseback with no shoes. However, when given a chance to defy stereotypes and prove that it has moved beyond its commitment to racism, the state usually fails with flying colors.

This week, Senator Barack Obama was pummeled in Kentucky by Senator Hillary Clinton. While voting against Obama is no proof of racism, the truth is that many voters admitted that they voted against Obama because he was black. Even Hillary knows this, as she continues to brag about how she has support among “hard working whites without a college degree.” Kentuckians do work hard, many of them are white and the state is one of the worst in the country when it comes to education. So, these must be Hillary Clinton’s kind of people.


Race still matters in Kentucky, a fact that throws itself in my face every time I return to my home state to give a speech. The last speech I gave at The University of Kentucky led to my not getting a handshake from the mayor, nor many other dignitaries who’d greeted me so graciously when I arrived. It wasn’t because I said anything radical: I simply noted (quite precisely I must admit) that the campus stated in 1990 that it would dramatically increase the presence of black faculty, and as of 2005, they’d had a net increase of 1. Not 1%, just 1. I wanted to tell the university that killing the messenger, while fitting with tradition, would be counter productive. Rather, they should kick themselves for not having the personal responsibility to keep their commitments.

I stated what much of Kentucky already understands: there is an equilibrium in which black people are second class citizens in Kentucky and when this equilibrium is violated, people get upset. There is an expectation of weakness, fear and silence among the black community in Kentucky, and my violation of the “Good negro behavior protocol” led to a backlash from those who “don’t want your kind round here”.

I love my state, but that is why I must be honest in my assessment.


I grew up in the school system in Kentucky, one that destroys the dreams of black children by the boat load, tossing them into classes for the learning disabled at dramatic rates and killing their dreams of going to college. I recall confronting the counselor of my god daughter, who tried to explain to me why “college isn’t for everyone”, while the kids at the suburban schools with equal intelligence are sent to the next level. What was most sad was that the counselor was black.

I went to college at The University of Kentucky, a campus that continues to make excuses for not hiring black faculty, yet is always able to somehow find the next great black basketball player. I once saw two pictures in the law school: one of the faculty, one of the janitorial staff. One of the pictures was 100% white, the other, 100% black.

I still have family in Kentucky, where black people truly know their place. The Kentucky Derby is not an event for everyone to celebrate at the track: it’s the day where most black people either clean up the horse crap or barbecue in their mama’s backyard.

People don’t get upset about the way things are in Kentucky, they are trained to accept it. High powered whites are the jockeys, and people of color are the horses. Any black person accepted into higher circles must be socially neutered in order to gain admission. No radical negroes are allowed in the country club.

Muhammad Ali was treated so poorly in the state of Kentucky that he refused to return for years. 12 years ago, when a black female student was attacked at The University of Kentucky in a racially-motivated incident, she claimed that campus administrators asked her to remain quiet because the basketball team had made it to the Final Four. You know, the whole bad publicity thing.

What is most ironic that I spent most of my time in Louisville and Lexington, two of the most socially-progressive cities in the state. It sort of goes down hill from there.

I had a mentor at The University of Kentucky, Tommy Whittler, the only black professor they’d tenured in the entire business school in their 130 year history. Tommy, and others, gave me good honest advice. They said, “Boyce, if you’re ever going to advance in this world, you have GOT to leave Kentucky.”



So, I left Kentucky and I advanced. I left that state for the same reasons that Senator Barack Obama never campaigned there in the first place. Now, I come home and everyone is afraid of me. That includes some of the black people, who may get upset that my honesty on racial equality is going to “get them into trouble.” It doesn’t matter if my words are true, it only matters that they are traumatic. But call me crazy, I still love my home state. That is why I want it to be cured of the disease of racism.

One thing I can say about the state of Kentucky is that the people are fundamentally good. The “country boy” who refuses to vote for a black presidential candidate is also the guy who will fix your car for free and allow his kids to play at your house. He cheers for the black guys on the University of Kentucky basketball team, even though he never thought about going to college. Ultimately, he represents the great paradox of Kentucky that creates racial inequality. Both the whites and the blacks are victims of this sickness.

I love my home state, and I would love to move back. But when I come home and see the same old oppression, I want to run for the airport. When I wrote my book about Kentucky and spoke of growing up there, I wrote from a position of intense pain.

The bluegrass state is beautiful, but it almost stole my dreams. Kentucky continues to be a dream killer for African Americans.

Dr. Boyce Watkins is a Finance Professor at Syracuse University and author of “What if George Bush were a Black Man?” He does regular commentary in national media, including CNN, NBC, ABC, CBS and ESPN. For more information, please visit www.BoyceWatkins.com.

11 comments:

Elrancho78 said...

Dr Boyce

Great piece on Kentucky. I've never been there but have seen similar situations elsewhere. Again, I've yet to read or hear anything you have said that I don't absolutely agree with. You put into words everything I have ever felt and believed in.

Anonymous said...

On CNN, David Gergen challenged Hillary to publicly reject voters who are not voting for her, but rather against the "nigger" (he didn't say it like THAT - LOL). OK, he really said people who state that "race" made the choice for them. I completely agree. I'm sure you will then have so many, especially at Faux News, that will state with no factual evidence other than the numbers, that black people are only supporting Obama for that reason..except, the polling doesn't actually make that case. Of course facts don't stand in their way and the likes of Hannity and O'Reilly will say "black people are lying". Its a lot of fun watching those guys squirm these days. Good times.

Anonymous said...

Dear Dr. Boyce,in 2003 thru 2007 I lived in Louisville, Kentucy.The kkk are all over the place they have control of everything,the police force the good job's .

Anonymous said...

Dear Dr Boyce, I lived in Washington DC. The NAACP has control of everything. The police force, the mayor, the government money, everything.

Anonymous said...

I appreciate all the love, thank you so much. I also appreciate the haters. The mere fact that you take time out of your day to come to this blog among the thousands in existence implies that you have some degree of respect for what I say. I humbly appreciate this from all of you.

Regarding O'Reilly and Hannity, this same principle applies. I dislike Bill O'Reilly and Sean Hannity, but I respect them for being relatively intelligent human beings. The truth is that while I give full recognition of their impact on the world, I fully disagree with the fact that they've used their power, intellect, charisma and courage to oppress and attack other human beings. That is what makes me sad.

So, the respect I have for O'Reilly is like the respect Luke Skywalker had for Darth Vader.....Luke had to acknowledge the power of The Death Star, but he also had an obligation to call out evil when he saw it!

But unlike Luke, I don't have the misfortune of having Bill O'Reilly as my father...yuck!

At any rate, much respect to everyone commenting here, even the haters. God bless America and all it's beautiful colors.

Anonymous said...

they disagree, they are haters. they agree, they are lovers. Them Bad/Us Good, Them Bad/Us Good, Agree with us-Good. Disagree with us-Bad. Good=Love Bad=Hate GOOD=US BAD=THEM.
For such intellegent, and otherwise sane individuals to come together as a unified group pushing this primitive and irrational concept and not learn from the thousands of years of history, to propel this evidently evolutionary ingrained instinctual concept(evolutionary to control the over population of humans in the world), in this day and age over this medium of the future, seriously taints my belief that mankind will ever break free of our past miseries, and are compelled to repeat them over and again, until this instinct wins in it's fight to eliminate us as a threat to the rest of the earths fawn, and flora.

Elrancho78 said...

I'm getting bored with you (Anonymous at 5.12)! You keep peddling this notion that Dr Boyce and this website represent a 'them or us' two-dimensional vision of things. It's just not true and I can't believe you've read or listened to him properly. Perhaps you'd made up your mind about this beforehand.

Of course, in stead of using the word 'haters' we could call them 'people who don't like us' and that would make you feel better. The unfortunate truth is, they do 'hate' and we all know what their hate is capable of making them do. It's no joke, and I for one am not going to join hands and sing Spirituals with those who would rather burn down a church than sit next to a black person on a bus.

Anonymous said...

When did Bill O' Reilly, or any other person say that they would rather burn down a bus, than sit next to a black person. He sits next to Juan Williams all the time, but since Williams disagrees with you, he is labeled a "happy negro", since you cannot put the racist label on him. An what country are you from, or where are you from anyway? You are bored with me? I think you are one of those "paid" comment writers or something, for you never seem to keep from repeating you own flawed logic. Maybe I'll will go to a blog from your country, and make a fool of myself like you do here.

Elrancho78 said...

Now - at last, you're showing your true colors. All that soppy, sensitive stuff about loving everyone had me fooled for a while but clearly it was less than genuine. Nice try but like so many white Americans you just can't help yourself. At least now we know where you stand. Don't worry, you keep loving Mr O'Reilly and all he stands for. I'm from the Caribbean since you ask and I'm not 'paid' by anyone but I take it as a compliment that you think I am. If I've upset you I must be doing something right.

Anonymous said...

I read this post on your blog again, Dr Watkins, and even though I do not agree with the way blacks are trying to radically implement change(not that change should not come, it just won't happen the way you are going about it), I have to say I respect you for your courage.
I came back to East Tennessee where I grew up, and have also been disappointed.
I am being honest and truthful in what I have found. Here everyone(most) look at the outside world as "them", and even returning ones like myself are then outsiders, to be cheated, lied to and stolen from, with open conscience, since that's the way everybody does it. The city I grew up in, has become a haven for illegal immigrants and the crime they ultimately bring, since they are criminals from the time they enter our country. The health care system is horrible, with the Healthstar HMO, being owned by local business owners that pay their own employee's minimum wage, and then rely on this company to service them, and the local business owners then drain the government and actually profit from the money in the Healthstar HMO, that they own, that provides a government service to their employees for health care that the owners themselves should be providing in the first place.
You cannot do any business in this town, of around 60,000 because of customer service. See, if anyone has a job that is not in the low pay factories, they put themselves above everybody else, and act like they are doing you a favor to deal with them, for they assume everybody else is low class scum, and for the most part, they are. Most people are inherently dishonest, and think stealing or conning someone from the "outside" is a legitimate way to earn a dollar. And if you do hire anyone from this majority of unmotivated, "world owes me a living" average workers, you are in for drama, for they think not, work little, and steal lots. (I have been speaking of the white, working class majority, not the illegals, whom I do not hire and blacks are too few to be in these statements)
I have tried to speak out about it, and have gotten what you got in Kentucky, and it is frustrating.
I have been told, that I will end up with my throat cut in the river, if I try to change anything. And they are probably right.
I don't know what the solution is. I cannot imagine how, if this were the 1700's, we could ever get a group of men to get together and change the oppression, shown to all working class people, as happened then. I really feel like it is just human nature, and only when we have intelligent people that can come together, above the average fray, can we have positive hope for all, in the future.

Anonymous said...

So many times the media, focuses its microscope on the black population and magnifies a small area and then portrays to the world, by only giving one perspective, that all blacks are like this . This way of portraying us to the world has been going on for a long time , giving the whole world a distorted narrow perspective view of who we are. This has been going on for so long , (GENERATIONS) THAT ITS HARD TO TELL SOME PEOPLE THAT THEIR PERSPECTIVE IS WRONG.

IMAGINE ME, OWNING A TELEVISION NETWORK, and every time I showed my viewers a story about the white population , It was about , David Duke , or the k.k.k. or the Skinheads, or Hitler . Get the picture.
Anyone who has not traveled and lived amongst other people, or have seen other whites, would think all whites were like that . They could possibly establish negative views of the white population as a whole.

If I were to describe you the reader, based on a perspective I got from only standing behind you , I would be telling everyone you had no eyes,no nose, or mouth. Whats worse, is if I mixed it in with the trusted weather report, and some trusting sole believed it, and told all his trusting friends.

What if they believed it ?

COULD THIS POSSIBLY HAPPEN ?

YES…. IT HAS…. TO US…. STOP IT.. ….
STOP JUDGING THE WORLD AND ITS PEOPLE FROM A NARROW MINDED VEIW.
OR THIS IS HOW THE WORLD MIGHT JUDGE YOU.

THANKS
SCORPI2000