Thursday, December 6, 2007


I was supposed to go to NYC to talk to black kids about going to college. Suddenly, the event was cancelled, and I wasn't sure why. Not that it matters very much, but I was a bit curious. I later found out that the person in the university who'd initially contacted me about going to talk to the kids was advised by university administrators to not allow me to talk to the kids, since I am so controversial. She said that she was concerned and that the university is concerned about my presence on campus and that I should not be involved with their initiatives to reach out to the inner city.

Hearing this didn't bother me very much, but it did make me think about slavery. I am reminded of a time when "trouble making" black people were kept away from the "good negroes" in order to keep them from corrupting their minds. All the while, there were black overseers appointed, whose job it was to provide a black face that would safely protect the interests of the oppressor. I see that alot at Syracuse, as some try to use a black face to keep us in a black place. All the while, the "bad negroes" like myself are kept away from the good ones.

Seeing these reminders of the 400 year social foundation of our country can be hurtful, since I have only worked to be a good, strong, honest scholar. If I were a white man, I would be applauded for my work. As a black man, I get fired for it. But my mother told me that is how things would work out. I accept it.

No comments: