Monday, October 26, 2009

Rally to be held in Kennett, Missouri in Support of Heather Ellis


To join the Your Black World Coalition, please visit www.YourBlackWorld.com.

From Dr Boyce Watkins

www.BoyceWatkins.com

To the Your Black World family:

When the children of my assistant Shauntay (Justice and Journi) brought the case of Heather Ellis to me, I was in disbelief. I was shocked that in 2009, a young college student, with no criminal record, could face 15 years in prison for cutting line at Walmart. I was even more appalled by the threats from the KKK and allegations by local leaders that the town went as far as blacking out the local news coverage during the minutes that the family held a press conference in support of their daughter. We sent information about the case to CNN and other media outlets, and they covered it (along with BET, Essence, ABC News and others), but I don't feel this is enough. We've decided that we aren't going to take this sitting down, and we hope you won't either

In honor of Justice and Journi, the two young visionaries who convinced me to take on this issue, we've created the "Journey for Justice," set to take place in Kennett, Missouri on Monday, November 16 at 11 am. On that day, we are going to meet at the Walmart where the incident took place (1500 1st St., Kennett, MO) and march to the steps of the courthouse(Square 200 Slicer St.). You can find out more information about the case and rally on the site www.TheHeatherEllisCase.com. Given that the prosecutor in the case (Stephen Sokoloff) has asked for a change of venue (to Bloomfield, MO - a town with less than 20 black people), some of the details of the rally might change (I have no doubt that they are scheming to make this as difficult as possible). But I can guarantee you this: On November 16, we are heading down there to fight against the madness occurring in this county, no matter what the cost.

I am humbly and passionately requesting that others join us on the court house steps on November 16. Heather's trial is November 18, but we want to make our point before the trial begins. Please share this message with anyone you know (you can use this form letter to cut and paste to your friends), and please offer rides to anyone who would like to be a part of this movement. This is NOT going to be an easy fight. This town is very close to Poplar Bluff, where 15-year old Walter Currie Jr. was doused with gasoline and set on fire with his attacker allegedly yelling "Burn nigger burn" while he did it. Walter and Heather could be my kids or your own - we've got to do something.

Also, below there is full contact information for Walmart executives that Shauntay provided for the Your Black World family to use. If you are concerned about this injustice, please email the individuals on this list and share your thoughts. If you are looking for a form letter to email/fax/send to the Walmart executives, please click here.

Obviously, Heather's legal defense is going to be expensive for the family. If you wish to make a donation of any amount, please click here to do so. I assure you that this money will go right to the family's legal fees - I'll see to it that it is not used improperly. If you wish to provide any other kind of support (i.e. putting together bus trips or sharing organizing experience), please click this link. You can also call (888) 315-1591.

Given that professors are usually trained to sit in the Ivory Tower and watch the world go by (which bothers me, since I think that Black Professors should be connected to our communities), I admit that I am still learning how all this works. So, I would like to thank Elliot Millner, JD from Your Black World, Rev. Al Sharpton of the National Action Network, Rev. Dwight Montgomery from the Memphis chapter of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference, King Downing, JD from the Sean Bell Coalition, and Rev. Jessie Bonner from the Sikeston, MO chapter of the NAACP, who have been quite helpful with this case. Of course, I thank Pastor Nathaniel Ellis, Heather's father, who has represented the family with tremendous grace and dignity.

To find out more about this case, please visit www.TheHeatherEllisCase.com. Also, I've written some things about the case on MSNBC and AOL Black Voices as well. We are going to fight like crazy for this girl, and I sure as heck don't plan on losing.

God bless all of you,

Dr Boyce

Here is the contact information for executives with the Walmart Corporation. For those who cannot attend the rally, I humbly ask that you challenge each of your friends to send an email and/or letter or make a phone call to any of the individuals below, requesting that they intervene to support Heather's case.


If you can't see the image, you can find it by visiting www.TheHeatherEllisCase.com.
Here are other people you might want to write to or call as well:

US Attorney General Eric Holder:

950 Pennsylvania Ave. NW, Washington, DC. 20530-0001

(202) 514-2001

Click this link to reach out to Chris Koster, the Attorney General for the State of Missouri. Here is a form letter you can use for either AG Holder or AG Koster.

To join the Your Black World Coalition, please visit www.YourBlackWorld.com.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

God be w/you Dr. Watkins. God be with you. Not only will I bring this to my prayer group I will also write, call, email the people who names you gave us. I will also ask family, friends, and love ones to do so. I am an adult, pass grown...but it can happen to me also. It can happen to any of us.