Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Julianne Malveaux and Cornel West: Thanks for the Support and Love

 

One of the toughest parts of my experience at Syracuse University was that of being a young Black man in a university with almost no significant Black male power presence.  The small number of older Black males I met were so trained to protect the interests and norms of the institution that they seemed to position themselves more as overseers than supporters.  Academia is a strange place and very difficult to navigate without mentorship and advocacy.  Those things make all the difference, since a mentor can explain how the system works, and an advocate fights for you behind closed doors.  The other thing mentors and advocates can do is “hook you up”, by allowing you easy access to things that are tough for everyone else to get: Publications in particular journals, promotions, etc.

When I came to Syracuse University, our Business school did not have one single Black professor in the entire college.  Three of us were hired at the same time as part of a modern day “3/5 Clause”: Central campus had agreed to pay part of our salary if they brought in minority faculty members, so our college was quite willing to take Black professors at a discount price.  I am not sure if they would have been willing to pay full price, since there were no Black professors in the college when I arrived.

So, there I was: A progressive Black scholar in a world in which there were no powerful people of color around me.  No one who understood me.  No one who could look at me and say “When I see you, I see myself 20 years ago.”  I was only surrounded by colleagues who seemed willing to accept me in spite of who I was, rather than because of it.  I wanted to do publicly engaged work that reconnected to my community and there was no one within a 100 mile radius who seemed to be able to appreciate my academic passion.  I knew that if I were to play the game like everyone else, my experience would likely lead to the same disappointing outcome as nearly every other Black faculty member in the history of the college.

So, I reached outside the college to find my source of support.  I have found that the Black community has been a huge supporter of my work, and they have appreciated it.  Most significantly, I’ve had supportive messages from Jesse Jackson, Cornel West, Michael Eric Dyson, Julianne Malveaux and others.  Cornel stays busy,  so he tends to send short messages, like this one: “Stay strong.  You continue to be a force for good!”, which he sent in response to hearing about my tenure decision.  Julianne and I talked for about 30 minutes last night.  While I cannot reveal the nature of the conversation, I can say that she was extremely supportive, like the big sister I never had.  She put everything into context and helped me to more clearly understand my experience here at Syracuse.  She also confirmed and validated many reservations I’ve had about Black scholarship in America and how many of us have been frightened and socially conditioned to be so petrified of not getting tenure that we end up throwing our potential away in the process.  I plan to unleash plans later in the year that will hopefully change some of that.  Being a fellow business person, Julianne and I had a good time “talking turkey” regarding ways we can help create “safe spaces” where Black Academics can be free to engage the Black community without fear of persecution.  Sort of like academic pilgrims of the 21st century.  Our communities need us, yet we have chosen to abandon our people in search of fools gold and a false sense of validation, prestige and security.  This has GOT to change.

So, I want to thank my mentors for providing something that I’d been used to going without.  My own father abandoned me when I was a baby, so I know that we always have a choice to neglect those who come behind us.  But fortunately, there are a few people out there: Julianne, Cornel and WC Benton at The Ohio State University (who saved me when I stood up to a Stanford professor and explained how his research methodology was incorrect – you aren’t supposed to correct Stanford faculty when you are a PhD student – I think it hurts their egos).  These people have come through for me in a big way and prepared me for the next stage in my academic career.  I respect you all and love you.  I also love the supporters who’ve sent me hundreds of positive emails since the tenure decision was made.  I’d be nothing without you.

God Bless,

Boyce

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since you dislike your employer so much, please leave!

Sandy Gholston said...

Stand strong Dr. Boyce. Syracuse University's loss will be someone else's gain.