Monday, May 18, 2009

Inside Higher Ed Weighs in on The Boyce Watkins Tenure Case

In many academic circles, being attacked by Bill O'Reilly might be a badge of honor. A Syracuse University professor, however, charges that he was denied tenure last week in part because of the fallout over his on-air disputes with the Fox television star, who has branded him "a new Ward Churchill."

Boyce Watkins said that the university has responded to attacks on him in ways that are different from how it handles other controversial statements made by professors, creating a stigma around his work because it does not conform to "white liberal" ideas about race.

And Watkins, who is black and who teaches finance, said that an e-mail message that was not intended for him, but which he received and has forwarded to Inside Higher Ed, shows that professors view his public statements in a negative light, and that he couldn't get a fair tenure review.

Watkins has appeared frequently on CNN and various other news shows, offering outspoken commentary that, while earning him the enmity of O'Reilly, has also won him many fans, who say that he voices ideas that tend to be skipped over in national debates. With Watkins vowing to sue the university (and to continue to speak out), this case is likely to set off debates about race, public intellectuals and how universities respond when their faculty members are attacked. And while many parts of the tenure process are off limits, many of the statements at issue are not only public but on YouTube, providing fodder for those seeking to draw their own judgments on Watkins (or O'Reilly).

The dispute with O'Reilly took off in 2007 in the aftermath of controversial remarks he made on a radio show in which he described a trip to Sylvia's, a famous Harlem restaurant. O'Reilly spoke at length about how he "couldn't get over" how the restaurant -- black-owned, and primarily with black customers -- was full of "respectful" people. He talked about how it was just like "going to an Italian restaurant" and how there wasn't "any kind of craziness" or anyone "screaming, 'M-Fer, I want more iced tea.' "

O'Reilly maintains that the comments were part of his effort to show that all people are the same, but his repeated expressions of surprise that one could have a civilized dinner in a black-owned restaurant in a black part of town struck many people as offensive and ignorant. Responding to the dispute, O'Reilly then interviewed Juan Williams on one of his television shows, and Williams expressed support for O'Reilly.

Click to read more.

3 comments:

The Man said...

"An editorial in The Daily Orange said: "Watkins was certainly entitled to say what he thought about Williams on the show. But calling another black man a 'happy Negro' hardly displayed the kind of intellectualism that Watkins proudly boasts. His talk radio remark actually undermined any of the notable comments he made during the program.""

Boyce don't you know you can't use the 'n' word anymore?

Mark said...

"And Watkins, who is black and who teaches finance..."

Syracuse Class of 88. Tirico kicked my ass at Newhouse. He's a better journalist. Always has been. No shame in admitting that.

Of course, I don't have a 90-day sexual harassment sit-down on my resume either. Tirico does. He played the game. He reaped the benefits of so doing.

You're black. That's nice.

And that matters because?????

Look, I voted for Barack Obama. Had not one damn thing to do with the color of his skin. Obama was the best candidate. Period. End of story.

Hell, the guy earned editor of The Harvard Law Review. You don't get that gig on color of skin, religion, or daddy's bucks. You get it because you're the best. The best leader. The best Constitutional lawyer in training. The best writer. The best in-fighter. The best politician. The best negotiator. The best at using your elbows. The best at employing a smile.

O'Reilly's a jackass. Everyone knows that. The guy is worthless.

But what are you? And why are you talking about your race?

I could give a rat's ass about your race. I know that Bill Coplin could flat out teach when I was at Maxwell. Can you teach?

I know that Christina Davidson, who help CNN become a reality, could flat out teach when I was at Newhouse. She got screwed on tenure. That pisses me off to this day. She didn't get the job because she didn't play the game. She spent too much time teaching students like me and not enough time kissing asses in the dean's office. I'm typing that. She never would. She's got class. I don't give a damn. What happened to Davidson bugs me to this day.

But life's not fair. Didn't you get the memo?

I'd like to be on your side. If you DESERVE my support. Not because you're against O'Reilly. Not because you think you got jobbed. And sure as hell NOT because of your pigmentation.

But I'm not going to back someone who's pitching that genetic tan crap.

I've got epilepsy. Never used it to get a job. Never whined when it cost me a job. I didn't ask for the disease. But it's mine. I've got to own it.

Responsibility, that's what it's all about. Not being a victim. Not crying discrimination. And not expecting things to be fair.

You didn't get tenure. I've lost jobs. Once got canned after earning eight journalism awards in a single year. Nobody earns eight journalism awards in a single year. But I did. Then I got canned. Because I didn't kiss the company's butt. Because I pushed too hard. Because I demanded too much of myself and others. Because I refused to settle for second best. Because I didn't give a damn what people thought. Because I refused to play the game.

Not fair. And that doesn't mean spit.

Can you teach? I hope so.

Just be sure to ditch the racial references. That won't get me on your side. To me, and all of this is just my opinion, that makes you no better than Jonah Goldberg, John P. Normanson, Sarah Palin, and every other chump who cries victim rather than simply does their job and does it very, very well.

Not putting a google account. Don't have one. And I have enough stupid passwords to remember. Run my IP and email me if you desire. If not, don't.

Anonymous said...

I am not sure if Dr. Watkins cares about you being on his side. I am his supporter and he doesnt' care if I am on his side. That's what I like is someone who is going to be honest with me no matter what. And when you look at racism in America, the truth is that Holder is right that we have become a nation of cowards. We act like race doesn't matter, when everyone knows that it does.