Sunday, August 3, 2008

Dr. Boyce - Jesse Jackson Show Today




I am going to be on the Jesse Jackson Radio show this morning. I get the chance to appear on this show a lot, along with my good friend Marc Lamont Hill. I am glad to see Jesse back out there on the front lines of our conversations, we need him.

I hate the idea that we can be so willing to exchange all black leadership for a black president. Barack Obama is great, but he can't replace black leadership in America.

On a side note, I saw the movie "Batman" again last night. Heath Ledger's performance was amazing, and it was one of the best movies I've seen all year. So no, I am not always meditating on racial inequality every second of the day. However, I do give the Batman films kudos for a diverse representation of African Americans. I don't mind seeing black inmates in a film, but I enjoy the fact that Batman movies show us black police commissioners, black judges, and black scientists. That's certainly more than I can say for the film "Hancock", which showed black men as drunks and prison inmates. What was that all about?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As far as far as I know, Jackson was not elected by anyone. There are many segments of the black community that he does not represent for example the GLBT community.

Anonymous said...

I am in agreement with you Dr. Watkins. I also am curious what you Mr. Hill and Rev. Jackson think about the following story. Please ask your readers to read the article and leave prayers and comments to show support! The politicians may need votes but our children need our help.

Please continue to help educate. The follwoing story also deserves attention. Black Parents can make a difference!

http://hiphopnurseryrhymes.wordpress.com/2008/08/22/buy-low-sell-black/