Monday, March 31, 2008

Wendy Williams vs. Nicole Spence: What in the Hell is Going On?



by Dr. Boyce Watkins - www.BoyceWatkins.com

Quick Note: Yes, Wendy Williams and Nicole Spence are in a beef involving the sexual harassment situation at WBLS. However, I have no interest in discussing this particular issue, since I would rather reflect on these two women I admire and have done a lot of work with over the past 2 years. It is my greatest hope that my perspective can add something positive to this terrible situation.

I had the chance to watch Wendy Williams and Nicole Spence in action a lot over the past couple of years. I was invited to Wendy’s show about 6 times, with each time being better than the last. I proposed to my fiancé on her show, and fitting with juicy celebrity gossip, my fiancé and I are no longer together. But like my fiancé, I maintain a tremendous amount of respect for Wendy, Nicole and the amazing women in the WBLS office.

Nicole Spence was the woman in charge. Nicole was soft and pretty on the outside, but torrentially loyal to Wendy and ferociously capable of maintaining their ground in the tough New York media market. If something needed to get done, we kept Nicole on speed dial. WBLS and Hot 97 were the two New York shows I loved appearing on the most, since they bring a lot more flavor than CNN, FOX, CBS and other networks. In other words, I could be myself, since black media doesn’t try to put you in a box.


I was a little nervous upon meeting Wendy Williams, since I’d seen her carefully remove the testicles of one celeb after another, with Nicole being one of her partners in crime. Wendy was brutal at times, and I thought she might be brutal with me. During my first appearance, Nicole Spence introduced me to the show, telling me “You’ll be on for at least 20 minutes. Maybe longer if Wendy likes you.”

Fortunately, Wendy and I had chemistry on the air, and the rest was history. I never cared about her beef with other guests, since she was never anything other than completely respectful toward me. She even referred to me as the “most eligible bachelor in America” during one show, a perception I can’t help but disagree with. I know how to treat a woman, but workaholics like me are nothing special when it comes to the ladies. I was also impressed with the number of intelligent black women Wendy and Nicole had in the office working with them. I love seeing black people achieving together, it was awesome.

One thing that was clear during my observations of Wendy Williams and Nicole Spence both on the air and in the “pink room” was that they needed each another. Nicole described to me, with great passion, how Wendy was booted out of New York and came back in a blaze of glory years later. I recall sitting with Wendy right before our CNN appearance together, hearing her on the phone with Nicole preparing for the next day’s show. I can only imagine how hurt each of them must be to have their powerful and fruitful relationship disrupted with the events that have just taken place.

I know greatness when I see it, and I have concluded that Wendy and Nicole were two pieces of the puzzle which created the powerhouse combo they became at WBLS. But like Kobe and Shaq, I am concerned that one piece of the puzzle without the other may derail both of their careers.


I am not in a position to take sides, since I’ve never met Wendy’s husband. I can only say that I hope each of them truly understands the price of their beef and that they are genuine with one another in how they resolve the situation. Nicole Spence is determined to be great and I know she will be. Wendy Williams is only second to Oprah when it comes to black women in media. My time with each of them has been precious, and I only hope they walk out of this situation in one piece. Or perhaps I should say one “peace”. Life is too short to be angry.

Dr. Boyce Watkins is a Professor at Syracuse University and author of "What if George Bush were a Black Man?" He does regular work in the national media, including CNN, BET, ESPN, and CBS. For more information, please visit www.BoyceWatkins.com


Boyce Watkins and Wendy Williams on CNN






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What do the naysayers have to say today May/13/2008. OPRAH was just one of the many beautiful rocks that have helped elevate Obama campaign and what a lovely payoff.

per MSTEE250

Unknown said...

Brilliant discussion.
That's what I miss about Phil Donahue balnced discussion on important issues.

I could everyone's point of view. And I never really stopped to think about Oprah's relationship to Black men based on her life.

Great stuff. Keep up the great work Dr.